Friday, January 30, 2015

Faux metal embossing tutorial


To start off my year of exploring more creatively I tried this faux metal embossing technique. As much as I love to emboss with real metal I was drawn to this faux metal embossing when I saw it on Pinterest from Mel Stampz. I used her great tutorial to get started and then continued to explore what else I could do with this technique.
To get started here are the supplies I used:
  • card stock- sized for project no larger than embossing folder
  • aluminum foil-yes the foil from your kitchen
  • glue stick or 2-sided tape
  • scissors/exacto knife
  • Big Shot and embossing folders
  • Alcohol inks and applicator.
  • Gesso/acrylic paint
  • Stazon or Archival ink.

Adhere one side of card stock to foil with tape or glue stick. I tried with both and they both worked fine. The tape was easier but it needs to cover the whole piece or you can see the lines where it is.  Trim excess foil around card stock with scissors or exacto knife.
Place foil covered card stock in embossing folder and run through Big Shot.

Voila, instant embossed metal. This is where I noticed that I can see where the tape is. Now the fun part of colouring it. The possibilities are almost endless. 
As you can see I had fun trying all kinds of inks, paint and combinations of these.

Probably the easiest method is using a few colours of Alcohol ink with a felt applicator and dabbing it all over.
This was dabbed with alcohol ink first and then the Archival ink was swiped over the top.

This has 3 colours of alcohol ink dabbed on at the same time, Caramel, Rust and Sunset Orange. It is the background on the card above.

It's not noticeable but this was lightly sponged with Archival ink first and then dabbed with Pesto, Ginger and Rust Alcohol ink. The Archival ink blended in with the Alcohol ink to make it a little darker than it would other wise have been.

This is the same as above with the Archival ink sponged all over and then Pesto, Rust and Ginger Alcohol ink dabbed lightly on top here and there. If the alcohol ink gets over worked the Archival ink disappears into the colours.

Archival ink was rolled on with brayer. Simple yet very effective.

A dark brown acrylic paint was brushed all over this piece and then wiped off while still wet. Rust, Sunset Orange and Caramel Alcohol ink were then dabbed all over. This make an interesting mat look.

I think this is one of my favourites. It has black acrylic paint based on and wiped off first and then Rust, Sunset Orange and Caramel Alcohol ink dabbed all over.

Again these are painted with a black acrylic paint and wiped off. A few light touches of brown and green were added on top. When painting a second coat be careful not to play with it too much as it will lift the first coat of paint. Just gently placing a bit of paint where you want it works well.


This piece gets a mat look with a start of Gesso all over and then Rust, Caramel and Sunset Orange Alcohol ink dapped all over. To finish it off I lightly sanded to show some of the metal through again.

Although this worked well on a card I can see using it in some of my altered art pieces too. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and if you try it or have already tried it leave a comment with a link where I can see your creations.

Happy Creating!
Wendy





1 comment:

unknown said...

Great work and this looks wonderful. This can be done so precisely. Thanks for sharing process of embossing. We also offers die sets and custom metal stamps. Contact us to get details.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...